Friday, August 27, 2010

Redecorating Is Not My Spiritual Gift

I thought I would give you a brief update on the Home Makeover: Frustrated Cowgirl/Funky Little Sister Edition. It has had its highs and lows in the four days that it has been underway. There has been laughter, tears, frustration and apathy. Frugality is running amuck and gray hairs are growing with wild abandon. In other words, it's like any other week at my home.

Here is a rundown of my complete lack of talent in the interior design world:

1. I love the new picture hanging on our wall above our staircase. It is big and brown and has all the names of the subway stops in New York City. It just screams "Get on a plane and come see me, Sarah!" I love talking art. But more than that, I love talking art that tells me to travel. We think it fits our taste perfectly. And if two girls who have degrees in International Something Or Other doesn't scream "travel" to you, then I don't know what does!

2. I have decided that everything I ever bought to decorate with (other than the aforementioned picture) is completely worthless to me right now. Worthless in the sense that I covet new things and wish the words "too expensive" never entered my vocabulary. And I know that everything that Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware have in their stores right now would be absolutely perfect. So, who's up for sponsoring me and this project? I promise I will bake for you.

3. I am continually grateful for my couch. Last summer, when my darling roomie Melanie moved out because she was marrying the man of her dreams, she also took her couch with her. The nerve! However, God is good and He knew that I was/am still paying off the above-mentioned degree in International Something Something and he connected me with a guy who was giving away an almost brand new couch for free.  FOR FREE, people! And it's not just any couch, it is a sectional, with big pillows and comfy cushions, and a ginormous coffee table/foot stool that went with it. And it fits perfectly in our condo. And did I mention it was free? No? Well, it was. Entirely free. I am still in awe of how God works, especially when it comes to interior decorating.

4. I have also discovered that I now need two more lamps. I am not sure how this happened because last week my condo had plenty of light in it. What does that mean?

5. Additionally, we have learned that flying wall hangings can be deadly. On Wednesday, Claire had the morning off and just as she was settling into our comfy couch with her breakfast shake, ready to take on the world via Facebook, a mirror, that weights approximately 893 pounds, fell off of its hook above the fire place, hit the mantle, did a complete 360 mid-air and crashed on our wood floors. Needless to say it was no longer in one piece. After checking her exposed body parts for shrapnel, Claire called me in a grave voice, saying:

"Sarah, I have some bad news."

I hate those words. Especially on the phone.

"Okay, what is it?"

"Your mirror just took a nose dive off the fireplace and is currently spread across our floor in a million pieces. You'll want to make sure you wear shoes."

Thankfully she was not hurt because it very well could have killed her. Or at least maimed her severely. And I just discovered that Lowe's has replacement mirror for $10. That is doable.

But you still may want to wear shoes when you come to my house.

6. I am in love with Craig's List. And do you know why? It's because I found this table and chairs for $35! I am going to see it right after work. And my gracious co-worker even offered to pick it up for me. I love people who have pick-up trucks.

So, there you have it. That is the rundown of our redecorating madness. Our place looks like a bomb exploded, leaving picture frames, lamp shades, odd pieces of furniture and random socks, bobby pins and piles of lent lying everywhere. You are welcome to come over but I will need you sign a liability form first.

And on that note, I hope your weekend is shrapnel free!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah:
    Where did you come up with a pile of lent?!! I'm going to stop by to see it right after I find a helmet on CL.
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love you so much. You make my day everyday when I read this! I would love to come over and see your new decorations!
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like y'all are having some great adventures :) can't wait to see the after pics. hope you've stayed safe this weekend!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete