Monday, November 29, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness - #29

I am oh-so thankful for traditions.

Let's be honest, folks, there are some pretty wacky traditions out there. Eating black-eyed peas on New Years Day, kissing people under clumps of tree fungus at Christmas and those insane groups of people who think it is fun to jump into the Arctic Sea once a year just so they can be on TV.

But I LOVE traditions. They bring comfort and predictability to my world, and that, my friends, is sometimes hard to find. So, here are a few of my faves that I would like to share with you:

Tradition #1: Every time we drive over the state line of Oklahoma, we sing "Oklahoma." Every. Single. Time. We all have parts: drums, bass, alto, soprano, beat boxer, and one singer who adds flair and drama to the song. It is quite magnificent. And if you are driving alone, then you call up someone on the phone so they can sing along with you.

SIDE NOTE: My siblings and I have even performed this on request at dinner parties, birthdays, gatherings, etc. However, due to an increase in maturity and dignity, and the invention of YouTube, we will no longer be taking requests.

Tradition #2: For the last seven years, Women's Group has exchanged pajamas. I love this for two reasons: 1. My WG is off the hook (do people still say that?) and 2. New pajamas are utterly divine. Seriously, you can't have too many pairs of PJ's.

SIDE NOTE: However, this year we are exchanging something a bit more...adventurous. Apparently traditions can be somewhat fluid.

Tradition #3: My dad's family loves to get jiggy with it. I love this on so many levels, especially because we are a bunch of white Okies who can bust a move like the Jackson family. For example, every time a family member drives away from a family reunion, the rest of the family stands in the yard waving good-bye. However, this does not last for long because approximately 27.6 feet from the driveway, the driver will slam on the brakes, put the car in park, and every one will jump out and dance in the street. Subsequently, everyone in the yard will also start dancing. A few seconds and a couple of curious neighbors later, the driver and his crew jump back in the car and drive away. Now that's a way to make an exit.

Tradition #4: I eat homemade ice cream every 4th of July. I don't think I can live without it. I'm serious.

Tradition #5: We put jingle bells on the doorknob of our front door at Christmas. We have done this for as long as I can remember. I love the sound it makes and it never fails to get me in the Christmas mood. It can also come in handy if a perp should ever decide to break into your house via the front door.

So my friends, what are some of yours?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I just might have to steal #3 from y'all. I've been saving all my moves for too long now.
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love these! I am actually going to write a blog post about my fave Christmas traditions so I'll have to leave those out of this comment but some other traditions I have that I love are...
    1. My best friend and I buy each other something from Anthro for our birthdays, because we both love that store and so it makes birthdays extra special and we figure in 30 more years we'll have a nice collection from Anthro!
    2. Every time something big is about to happen with one of the fam members, we have a prayer time for them. Leaving for college, going to have your wisdom teeth out, going on a big trip, etc. Its fun.
    3. We don't do this any more, but when I was little and my dad and I went to O's games, we always sang You're a Grand Ol Flag as we passed the George Washington statue in downtown Baltimore. And he allowed me to ONCE again tell the cherry tree story. Ha. :)
    4. Shopping on Black Friday! Holla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Thanksgiving we used to always have a "turkey dance" - yep we would dance with the turkey in the sink before it went in the oven. My Dad would even come up with some awesome lyrics about the turkey's former life. Since we no longer live at home and the turkey is in the oven before we get there, it's adapted a little. Now we have the kids sing and dance around a stuffed turkey. It's pretty hilarious - especially if you know my Dad :)

    Mandy <><

    ReplyDelete