Tuesday, November 30, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness - #30

Can you even believe that today is the last day of November? Where did it go? Wasn't it just Labor Day? Shouldn't I still be 24? What happened to the 7th grade?

Actually, you couldn't pay me enough to repeat the 7th grade. Let's just say a grown-out perm, braces and a crush on a guy named Hans were included. Try not to let that mental image sink in.

So, for the final day of my thankfulness campaign, I want to let you know that I am thankful for running.

Take a moment. I know this is overwhelming. I myself am living in a state of complete shock.

I  know this is contrary to everything I am and everything I stand for, but I seriously love running but I seriously love the benefits of running. While I am actually running, I loathe every bite I have ever eaten. My heart feels like it is going to explode, my legs want to quit and shrivel up and my lungs are on the verge of shutting down completely.What's not to love, right?

But in all honesty, it makes me feel  like an Olympian. For years, I have tried to be athletic. I have always worked out. I have taken up salsa dancing. I have even participated in a variety of sports, including softball, volleyball, tennis, ballet, soccer for a day and baton-twirling. I was a rock star at baton-twirling.  But none of those made me feel like I owned an ounce of coordination.

That is where running is different. And do you know why it is different? Because it requires ZERO TALENT. That's right, all you need is perseverance and a paramedic. No talent necessary.

So thanks for letting me share this with you. And just in case you were wondering, my new fondness of running will never, EVER translate into a new love for hiking. If that were to ever happen you would know that the four horsemen of the Apocalypse were right behind me.

And thanks for giving me so many reasons to be thankful. You are the best.

2 comments:

  1. I think that you should at least try hiking again. Who knows, you may actually like the benefits of that too and it's really pretty and you can see cool things. Let's hike a 14er together this summer! I haven't hiked in like two years so I will make Josh stay home so we can hike slowly and enjoy the views.
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. That totally made my day that running made the blog!!! Contrary to what you might ever believe there was a day not too many years ago where I absolutely hated running too. My how things can change! :) ~ Cynthia

    ReplyDelete