So I have been sick for the last four days. Other than a trip to the grocery store and a two-hour meeting at work, I have been home trying to breathe.
Between lying on my bed, lying on the couch and walking back and forth between the two, I have learned a lot about myself and how to occupy one's time when you are slowly dying from coughing, sneezing, itchy nose, watery eyes and general lack of feeling chipper.
Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:
1. Hulu is now my best friend. I love it. I have watched EVERY POSSIBLE SHOW known to man. I even re-watched some of my favorite episodes. I am now completely caught up on Jack Bauer, Michael Scott, Neal Caffrey and Liz Lemon. I am impressed with myself.
2. Tea is overrated. Sure, it has its place in foreign countries, but it just doesn't cut the mustard here. I have had "Throat Coat," "Breathe Easy," "Gypsy Cold Cure" and plain old Earl Grey. But I still do not feel coated, nor can I breathe easy and there is definitely no cure happening. I just feel grey...and blah.
3. When you feel good enough to be vertical for more than five minutes, run as fast as you can to the grocery store so you can stock up on everything you wished you had when you felt like death on a stick.
4. Write down all of the things you want to accomplish once you feel better because when you are well again you will need something to help you get organized. However, if your list is too long, you will not want to get well and you will try to figure out a way to stay in your drug-induced stupor. So be careful with your lists...you don't want to be overly ambitious.
5. There is nothing like your own bed. And that's all I have to say about that.
6. Remember to shower. It helps, not only with appearances and overall hygiene, but it shows that you respect your roommate. And for a split second, you may be able to breathe. And that is worth more than a new box of Kleenex.
7. I now have the intense urge to redecorate my entire house. I have been staring at the same pictures for far too long and I apologize for anyone who has ever come over and wondered why I apparently have zero decorating skills.
8. Hulu is still my best friend.
9. The world still goes on around you even if you are sick. That just goes to show that the world does not revolve around you...or me for that matter.
10. I have eaten way too much frozen yogurt. Way. Too. Much. But it just feels so good...so good on my scratchy, raw, oh-so very sore throat. I think I'll go get another bowl...
Okay, that's all I got. I am sure there are more words of wisdom up in that foggy brain of mine but I can't remember them. Now if you'll excuse me, my grey hooded sweatshirt, my totally useless cup of tea and I are going to go sit on a different couch cushion. You know, just to liven things up a bit.