Friday, February 11, 2011

Recipe Round-Up: Hummingbird Cake

Who's hungry for cake?

Totally dumb question, I know.

Seriously, cake should be its own food group. And this has quickly become one of my favorites. I chose it because it was the most requested recipe from Southern Living. And let me tell you something: the south know what they're talking about!

This cake is simple to make, stays extra moist, and the frosting is to die for. I would highly recommend you make this tonight. Or for your sweetie for Valentine's Day. Or for yourself for Valentine's Day. Or for me for Valentine's Day. Whichev.

Let's do this, shall we?


















Start with flour...


















And add baking soda, salt, sugar and cinnamon.

Mmmmm....cinnamon.


















Next up: 3 eggs. And beat the tar out of them before you throw them in.


















And then add some oil.

SIDE NOTE: If I had remembered to add the vanilla, I would have done so right now. Try not to be like me.


















Now, mix it up slowly. And say a few sweet words to your mixer while it works. They love sweet words. Trust me on this.
















The batter will be very thick once it is mixed together. But fear not my friends, there's more to come!

















Now, grab a can of crushed pineapple and throw it in, juice and all.

SIDE NOTE: Pineapple is my favorite fruit. That and peach cobbler.

















Then mash up a few bananas. You need 2 cups so I used four medium bananas.

SIDE NOTE: Mashing is good for stress. Try it sometime.


















Put the bananas in with the pineapple and mix again. This time your batter will look more like cake batter. And it will smell amazing.

SIDE NOTE: I chose not to put pecans in the batter. The reason for this is because I ran out of pecans.

















Now, in your spare time, grab three cake pans and butter and flour them. Trust me, you will want to butter and flour your pan. Otherwise, the cake will stick and fall apart and you will cry.

There's no crying in cake baking.

















Pour your batter into the pans and pop them in the oven.

In the meantime...mix up the frosting. I forgot to take pictures of this process because I was deeply involved in a movie while I was mixing. But all you need to do is throw all the ingredients into a bowl and mix.

And then you will want to sample it once or 12 times.



Once the cakes are done, let them cool completely.



After you have waited patiently for what seems like FOREVER, grab your cake stand, your frosting from heaven and an off-set spatula.
Be prepared to be amazed.



First up, put a dollop of frosting on the cake stand so your cake doesn't slide around.

Sliding cakes = culinary disaster.

SIDE NOTE: Claire gave me a gift card for my birthday and my new cake stand is the end result. I love sisters who give gift cards.

Now, begin icing each layer...



Just like that.

SIDE NOTE: This recipe makes just enough frosting to cover the cake. If you like extra frosting (and who doesn't?) then I would recommend making 1 1/2 recipes.

Chop up a few pecans and sprinkle on top.



And now it is time to dig in.

Don't be shy.






Who wants the recipe? Of course you do! Go to it, bakers!

Hummingbird Cake
From Southern Living

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups chopped bananas
1/2 cup chopped pecans (for top)

Preparation
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.


Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Store in refrigerator.

Cream Cheese Frosting (makes 3 cups)
Ingredients

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation
Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla

 

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I think I can smell it through the computer.

    And I would like to warn you... sometimes there is crying in baking. Actually most of the crying happens around here when the cake is gone...

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, that cake looks wonderful! You are a wonderful cook. You are a wonderful girl. And for all these kind words, I want a piece of cake. Serve this to your next fella.

    Love,
    Aunt Marge

    ReplyDelete