Friday, October 1, 2010

Recipe Round-Up: Easy Walnut Pesto

Happy October, my friends! I am wearing a scarf today, A SCARF. Can you believe it? I am sure I'll have to peel it off my by noon but there was a chill in the air this morning that could not be missed.

So, speaking of cooler weather, this week's recipe is all about creamy walnut pesto. My mom and I have had basil growing out of our ears these days so it was time to combine our efforts and ingredients and make a few batches. I know I will be so happy to pull some of this green ambrosia out of the freezer once the snow is falling and the wind chill does not get above -30.

Side Note: If that actually does happen, I'll probably need more than a little pesto to keep me going. I'll need hot chocolate, chicken noodle soup, dark chocolate chip pumpkin cookies and a complete season of Friday Night Lights. I could use a little Tim Riggins to keep me company. 

So, let's whip this up, shall we? It is so easy and delicious! I IMPLORE you to make a batch this weekend so you too can have this yummy goodness to add to your pasta, chicken or my favorite Pea and Pesto Spinach Salad.

First, you'll need some basil:



I LOVE the way basil smells. LOVE IT. Your kitchen is going to smell amazing after you make this.

So grab a bunch, give it a good wash, dry it off and measure out 2 cups.


Pack it in good and tight.


And throw it into a food processor.


Next up: Add 1/2 cup of walnuts. This recipe originally called for pine nuts but I was fresh out. Walnuts work wonderfully!

Side Note: I also tried this recipe with plain almonds and it was delish! So go ahead, get a little nutty.


Throw those into the food processor as well and pulse until well combined. You don't have to pulverize it because you will continue to grind it up as you add your other ingredients.


Now, grab three cloves of garlic. I heart garlic.

Slice them up and throw them in. And pulse until well combined.


Now measure out 1/2 cup of olive oil. I always use extra virgin olive oil because it has the absolute best flavor.

Pour in the olive oil while your food processor is running. It requires minimal coordination.


Finally, add 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese. It can be freshly grated or from a can. I actually love Parmesan cheese from a can. It's how I keep things real.

Throw it into the processor and pulse to combine.


And there you have it, folks: creamy and delicious Walnut Pesto. Add salt and pepper to taste. This only took 5 minutes to whip up!


For my freezing technique, I used a 1 Tablespoon measuring spoon and scooped it out onto a cookie sheet. I froze the pesto for a couple hours, removed from the cookie sheet and put them in a freezer baggie. This way I can grab one or two tablespoons at a time. Super simple, peeps!

So go ahead, grab that basil and get to work! Your tastebuds will thank you later.

Here's the recipe:
2 cups packed fresh basil (washed and dried)
1/2 cup walnuts (pine nuts, almonds)
3 garlic cloves
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste.

Directions:
In a food processor, combine basil and walnuts. Add sliced garlic and pulse until combined. Slowly add olive oil while food processor is running. Scrape down the sides of the food processor. Add Parmesan cheese and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy, my friends! And feel free to invite me over when you serve this up. I promise I won't eat all of it.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delish! I'd be happy to help you eat some one day.

    ReplyDelete