Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It Is Part of My DNA

Most Oklahomans live and breathe college football. And not just any college, I'm talking the pride of Oklahoma, the Crimson and Cream, the school that boasts the most national merit scholars in the entire Big 12: the University of Oklahoma.

It is a way of life, it is part of our DNA and it is what keeps us going when the wind barrels down the plains for days on end. Without OU football, half the population of Oklahoma would go insane and be locked away in padded rooms while they mumble "When I die I'll be Sooner dead" over and over again.

The other half would be forced to become Oklahoma State fans. And honestly, I am not sure which option is worse.

A lot of people ask me, "Sarah, what the heck is a 'Sooner?'" And I tell them that they were overly-ambitious wannabe land-owners who jumped the gun during the land runs of Oklahoma so they could stake out the best piece of land.  Think Far and Away, minus fake Irish accents.

In other words, "Sooners" were criminals. But they were resourceful criminals who knew how to make a mean brisket.

Naturally, OU has its share of enemies, namely the other teams in the Big 12. We also have a beef with Notre Dame, Florida, USC, Boise State, LSU...pretty much anyone who has beat us in the national championship game or has broken one of our winning streaks. However, nothing beats the rivalry we have with Texas. This match up is fueled by crazed fans, extreme talent and deep-fried foods that show up each year at the Texas State Fair.

Two weeks ago OU played Texas. Did you hear how it ended? No? Well, WE WON. We laid the smack down. Take that, Longhorns.

Don't I sound tough? I talk like I was actually on the field. Well I was, in spirit anyway.

When I was little, I went to quite a few games with my OU-obsessed brother, uncles, grandpa and cousins. And once, when we were walking on the field afterward, I ran smack-dab into Brian Bosworth, a.k.a. The Boz. That's right, you heard me. And let me tell you something, he was ginormous. He was like a walking refrigerator with a mullet. It was a definite highlight in my very young life.



Every week, my parents proudly wave their OU flag for all the world to see. This takes some guts, folks, because most people in Colorado have zero respect and/or tolerance for any football team outside of their own borders. Some years it is harder than others, especially when our record is less than stellar.

But this year, oh, this year my friends, we are undefeated. As of this moment right now, we have not yet lost a game. If my very superstitious grandpa were reading this, he would throw his computer out the window because this post may have very well jinxed the team for the rest of the season.

But I am not superstitious, I am merely proud of where my Sooners are this season. Come rain or shine, I'll stand by them. But it sure makes it fun when things are shiny.

Or something like that.

4 comments:

  1. GO SOONERS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...Nebraska is also undefeated. Go Big Red!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, you know who you should cheer for. I'm getting that little girl some Sooner gear! :)

    Love, Your Seester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a proud adopted Sooner family member! YAHOO we beat Texas!!!!!!!!!

    Boomer Sooner. All the way to the Big 12 Championship!

    ReplyDelete