Monday, June 14, 2010

Boyfriend or Bust

Have you all noticed that everything now is "the boyfriend" something? For instance, there is: "the boyfriend jean," "the boyfriend shirt," "the boyfriend sweater," and "the boyfriend capri pant."

Do boyfriends wear capri pants?

Should they be your boyfriend if they do?

I'm just saying, peeps.

Why can't there be "the boyfriend lunch date" or "the boyfriend change your oil package?" Those would really be helpful. And functional.

Besides, if your entire wardrobe is based around some kind of "boyfriend something" then perhaps you should re-think shopping altogether.  Shoot, why don't you just shop in the men's section of Gap or Banana Republic? Or for that matter, you could just go through your dad's clothes every so often because at one time, he was indeed a boyfriend...to your mom, that is.

It's not that I don't like "the boyfriend" style. Each piece looks comfortable and has that cute feminine/masculine combo going on, and who doesn't want to roll up their pant legs in the dog days of summer? But if I wanted to dress like a guy, wouldn't I just buy guys' clothing and spend a whole heck of a lot less?

I am so confused. Or maybe I am just jealous because baggy clothes look ridiculously cute on some but absolutely abysmal on me.

So to all of you who can rock this style, keep it up! But for me, I will probably continue "the single girl who wears high heels and loves her Spanx" trend.

Although, I would totally be up for "the boyfriend dinner and dancing" combo any day.

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 14, 2010

    Well, I remember back in my day.... we just wore matching plaid flannel shirts, while we walked to and from somewhere (uphill both ways) in knee-deep snow drifts. Are there any men's fashions called "girlfriend-something"? or do we not want to go there?
    Nadine (the office chum)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 14, 2010

    I concur, seester! I also want a "boyfriend-who-can-change-my-headlight-that-is-out." Now that is a fashion that never goes out of style. Chuck Bartowski, where are you?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhhh---if there were only a real life boyfriend to steal, I mean, borrow clothes from instead of the store trying to convince you it's your boyfriends closet while they sternly frown upon the borrowing concept. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete