Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Sixth Love Language

I think there should be a sixth love language and I would call it "baking."

I find that I feel the most-loved when my oven is on and some form of chocolate is ready to be devoured.

I have spent most of this day in the kitchen. It has been both calming and chaotic because while I find all forms of baking therapeutic, it is much harder to remain stress-free when your darling nephew is whacking you from behind with a wrapping paper tube.

So, I did what any good aunt would do and called him to a duel.

Unfortunately, I lost. But I blame weak cardboard and not because I am one-handed and a big sissy.

Today is our baking day because tomorrow will be filled with a trip to Alamosa to pick up our favorite member of the community corrections system. He has 48 hours to spend eating all the fudge I can make and relaxing on his very own couch.

I love the thought of this.

So, to make everyone's culinary dreams come true, on the list today is the following:
Vanilla bean cheesecake with fresh cranberry sauce
Walnut fudge
Chocolate coved pretzels
Cheddar and pecan cheese ball
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
Magic bars

Speaking of which, while I was in New York, I had one of Magnolia Bakery's Magic bars, which are bars layered with graham cracker crumbs, sweetened condensed milk, coconut, walnuts and chocolate chips.




And let me tell you, they were magical. The kind of magic that you want to stick your face in.

To combat all of this heavenly sugar, we are making shrimp gumbo, my Grandma R's famous recipe, flank steak and bacon and Swiss quiche to round out the other meals.

I guarantee I will gain five pounds this week and I am totally okay with that.

Happy baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment