Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sitting in the Back Row

Greetings from the back row!

I am currently in a three-day seminar on community development and I am sitting in the back row of a very small, very cold room. I could use some coffee and some leg room, but I can't complain, it's interesting stuff and the seminar is free.

I was thinking of giving you a play-by-play of my day but I don't think you could handle the excitement. However, I will give you a few observations:

~ There is a man sitting in front of me that looks like Santa Claus. He is probably 80 years old and has an iPad. That is one hip Kris Kringle.

~ The walls are covered in flags from around the world. Some of them I have never seen before. Can you tell me which country this flag represents? I totally googled it.






~ Our speaker just said, "a weed is just a plant out of place. There is nothing bad about a weed; the weed is doing exactly what it was created to do." Discuss amongst yourselves.

~ Something is humming. Awesome.

~ I have a love/hate relationship with power point presentations. They are highly overused but they have the potential to greatly enhance a seminar. It is a fine line, my friends, a fine line.

See, I told you the excitement would overwhelm you. What are you doing today?

4 comments:

  1. Kenya. I feel like I should google it now to be sure but I think it's Kenya.

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenya--sans googling. :) But I suppose that may be considered insider trading. (HA! I first wrote, "insider training." I suppose that's correct, too!)

    Interesting thought on weeds. I suppose it depends on the weed. I'm not sure what purpose burrdocks have or where they'd belong. I tend to think about transplants alot. I love this quote, "A plant is moved because it's beauty, fragrance or function is needed somewhere else." (OK--that's my paraphrase, but . . . still.)

    I'm in training. We're focused today on those getting ready to leave the country in the next few months. Tomorrow we combine those with those who are retired, retiring, or starting to think about retirement. Phew. I get to teach them together right after I have a root canal. Yes, I lead an exciting life.

    PowerPoint done well enhances the speaker. PowerPoint done poorly kills everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a ladybug? Ha! :)

    Glad you are finding things to keep you entertained during the seminar!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. a) you should have Google Goggled it, or reverse image searched it with www.tineye.com

    b) I agree, weeds are just plants in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sunflowers for example, very weedy to some, very attractive to others. Also, marijuana (am I spelling that right? I'm just so unfamiliar with it)

    ReplyDelete