Thursday, May 5, 2011

Recipe Round-Up: Breakfast Frittata

I love this frittata. Well, I pretty much love any frittata. And every Sunday night I make one so I have a breakfast to grab as I head out the door for work.

Now, keep in mind frittatas are like a blank canvas, you can add anything you want to them and they'll probably turn out delicious. Minus weird things, like marshmallows and hominy.

So for this particular frittata I grabbed whatever I had in the fridge which was red onion, mushrooms and spinach. Sometimes I add bacon, sometimes I add a little cheese, if I had a red bell pepper I would have definitely thrown it in, it's just whatever you have available.

But you probably already know this. I am new to the frittata scene.

So, here is how I do it. Start with your veggies:


And chop them up





Saute those suckers in a little coconut oil.



SIDE NOTE: Have you heard about coconut oil? No? Well, it is fairly amazing. It has so many health benefits plus it smells/tastes great! I would highly recommend switching to coconut oil for all of your cooking needs. Thank you.



Once they are caramelized and yummy, throw in your spinach.

SIDE NOTE: Here is where you would add your cooked meats, like bacon or more bacon.



Next up:


Eggs, naturally.

I use 8 eggs. It may sound like a lot but when you divide this into quarters, you get two eggs in each piece. This is perfecto for me and all of my hunger needs.



And pour them into the pan and stir around gently. At this time, shut off the heat on the burner.

SIDE NOTE: Now some people add milk, cream, nutmeg or other yummy goodness to their egg mixture. Go for it! I do not put those things in mine because I ate half of all the pastries in Portugal and my bootie does not need cream. Not even a drop.


Sprinkle a little pepper on top (or add your cheese) and pop the entire pan into a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

SIDE NOTE: Make sure your pan is oven-proof. If you are worried about your handle melting, you can wrap it in aluminum foil.


In the meantime, you should take a power nap or watch your fave show on Hulu. Either one is an excellent choice.


After 20 minutes, pull that puppy out of the oven and let it cool in the pan. I then put it on a cutting board...


...and cut it into quarters. So easy.


Seriously, this is so delicious.

I throw mine in a tupperware and put it in the fridge. I grab a wedge every morning and eat it on my way to work. It is the perfect balance of protein and veggies. I love it because I know I am starting my day off well and this recipe is totally organic. And the best thing is that you can make it exactly how you like it.

Frittatas are cool like that.


 

3 comments:

  1. You've blown my mind with the coconut oil....wow, that's on my grocery list!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 07, 2011

    Love it!! I've been looking for other egg & veggies combos for breakfast and will definitely have to try this frittata deliciousness! ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try it! You're cool like that to share this.

    ReplyDelete