Thursday, May 20, 2010

Recipe Round-Up: Ambrosia Salad


This is one of my favorite salads ever.

It reminds me of the 4th of July in Oklahoma. And that reminds me of sunshine, laughter, flip flops and near-death experiences with fireworks.

Does it get any better?

I think not.

So here is my family recipe that has been tested and tried a hundred times. And just in case you don't finish this off in one sitting, the leftovers are TO DIE FOR.

Which actually could be a literal statement since there is a tub or two of sour cream in the dish. And who am I kidding when I call this a "salad?" I guess it just makes me feel better when I attack it with a spoonula at 2:30 in the morning.

Anywho, let's dig in, shall we?  And all you need are FIVE ingredients...


Coconut, Sour Cream, Pineapple Chunks, Mandarin Oranges and Marshmallows.
In other words: Yes, please.


Okay, grab a bowl and a spoonula and let's begin. You need a tub or two of sour cream. You can use low-fat or fat-free and I have even used plain yogurt. It all tastes the same because it is mixed with such yummy goodness. I am using full-fat sour cream because it was on sale. Remember folks, I am frugal.


I heart sour cream.
That is not to be confused with my "my heart loves sour cream." I am pretty sure it doesn't.


Plop as much as you want into a bowl.  I used about 24 oz.


Next, bust open the marshmallows.



Don't you just love those little buggers? They make me happy.


Throw in the entire bag.
That's right, you heard me.


Next up: mandarin oranges. Drain those puppies and pour in the entire can.


Isn't food pretty?


After that, drain and toss in a can of pineapple chunks.
Side note: fresh pineapple is my favorite fruit. Just so you know.


Oh man. Oh man oh man oh man.


And coming in at #5: coconut.
Now, some people have texture issues with coconut, my sweet sister being one of them. But I love the stuff and I think it adds a great little kick to this salad.


I poured in half the bag. It is up to you how much you want!


And mix it all together.
Make sure you take a taste because it very well could change your entire life.



And there you have it: Ambrosia Salad.
Pop it into the refrigerator until served. The colder it gets, the happier you'll be.


And if your sister has a super cool orange bowl for you to use, that's even better!
I love sisters.

Since this recipe is so simple and only needs five ingredients, I am leaving the measurements up to you. Add as much or as little of each ingredient as you want. Personally, I make sure everything is coated in sour cream and each bite is full of marshmallowy heaven.

Serve it up at your next BBQ. It goes perfectly with hamburgers, hot dogs, steak, kabobs and any other kind of meat you throw on the grill.

Or you can grab a bib and stick your head in it.

Either way, enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I love how several of your recipes include sticking your head in the bowl! I think that's the sign of a good recipe - if it's good enough to stick your head in, it's good enough to share.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 21, 2010

    I love seeesters, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. replica bags for sale fake gucci p1d81a8f39 replica bags new york redirected here y0a51l9n21 replica louis vuitton bags replica bags los angeles s4e89j6v30 replica bags new york hermes replica handbags c7a40y9v43 replica prada nylon bags

    ReplyDelete