Thursday, February 6, 2014

Recipe Round-Up: Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies with Sea Salt

I have finally decided that there is nothing I love more than warm cookies.

I love them.



 
 
 
 
If I had to choose one thing to eat for the rest of my life I would choose warm cookies.
 
(With a side of peanut butter.)
 
(I have to have protein, right?)
 
This cookie recipe was first tested when I was seven years-old. My best friend and I, both of whom were rocking fantastic perms, made a double batch of these cookies every weekend: half for her family, half for me mine. The page this recipe is on is smeared with drops of vanilla, bits of brown sugar and tattered with use.
 
It was the beginning of my love affair with baking.
 
When my family and I moved to Colorado from the glorious plains of Oklahoma, my mom and I quickly realized that the standard recipe would not work at this high altitude. So we experimented and changed ratios until we found the perfect high-altitude chocolate chip cookie recipe.
 
And lo, I bring it to you.
 
But not to worry, flat-landers can also bust this out with glorious results.
 
Okay, strap on the apron and let's do this.

 
 
 
Part 1: cream butter, shortening, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Then add eggs and vanilla and mix again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Part 2: Add flour, baking soda and salt. And mix again.
 
And thus the cookie dough was born.








Next up: chocolate. Add any kind you want or add multiple kinds. It's chocolate, you can't go wrong! I chose Ghirardelli semi-sweet because THEY ARE FREAKING AMAZING.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
Then chop some pecans (toast them for a deeper flavor) and throw them in. 





 
And there you have it: my reason for living.
 
 
 
Now, this next step is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT: refrigerate the dough.
 

I repeat: REFRIGERATE THE DOUGH.
 
 
REFRIGERATE THE DANG DOUGH!!!!!
 
(Apparently I am passionate about cold dough.)
 
 
Trust me on this, it makes all the difference in the world. And you only have to do it for 1 hour...but you could easily do it up to 72 hours.
 
 
But who in the world has time for that?!


 
 

Once your dough is chilled, roll them into balls and slightly flatten them onto a cookie sheet.


Sprinkle with sea salt. Oh, you are going to LOVE THIS.
 
 
 
 
 
Sea salt + chocolate + warm cookies + hot coffee = perfection.
 
 
 


 
 
Total, complete, warm, gooey, salty, chocolate-filled, satisfying perfection.



 
 
These cookies just might change your life. They did mine.
 
True story.
 
 
 
 
Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies with Sea Salt (High Altitude tested)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans
 
Directions:Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffly. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well, about 2 minutes. Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix thoroughly. Pour in chocolate chips and pecans and combine. REFRIGERATE THE DOUGH for at least 1 hour or up to 72 hours.
 
Using any size spoon you prefer, scoop dough into hands and roll into a ball. Place on cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top. Remove from cookie sheet and cool (or eat all at once!). Makes 3-4 dozen (using a 1 tablespoon scoop). Store in an air-tight container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
 
Share the love. 
 

8 comments:

  1. Um...oh my! These sound like HEAVEN right now! Any chance they could show up at a little WG getaway this weekend????? Pleeeeeeaaaase, pretty please. Or could you just sneak me one? You have some in your freezer right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby,
      Absolutely! I'll bring a whole bucket for us to eat. :) I like your thinkin'.

      Delete
  2. I see the cookie gene has been passed on. I have a recipe card handwritten by your mom circa 1979 for oatmeal/chocolate chip cookies. I was visiting one day when she made them. They were wonderful and so I asked for the recipe.
    Please say hey to your mom from Barbara Enfield Patterson and tell her I still make those cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pourquoi ne pas vérifier ici sacs à dos de créateurs de répliques essayez ceci répliques de sacs gucci cliquez pour en savoir plus dolabuy.ru

    ReplyDelete
  4. go to my blog visite site site here internet why not try here Dolabuy Goyard

    ReplyDelete