Monday, May 21, 2012

I Found Myself in a Tree

Thank you, thank you for the donut intervention! It was successful. Your texts, emails and comments helped me sail through the weekend donut-free and I consider this a minor miracle. Fried dough (among other things) has always been my downfall.

So, how was your weekend? Do you need another one to recover? I do. I always do. And as a way to ease you into this Monday, I thought I would give you an underwhelming play-by-play of exactly how I spent those 48 hours of bliss.

Y'all ready for this?

Friday night I spent the evening with nine terrific people as we celebrated Lizz's graduation and birthday. We went to Racine's, a Denver staple, and I ordered a salad that seemed to grow as I ate it. Does this ever happen to you? Salads seem to multiply the more you eat them. It boggles my mind. If you have an explanation, please pass it along. 

Saturday started slow, as in I watched E!'s True Hollywood Story of Joan and Melissa Rivers. I was sucked in for the full hour and now have a complete aversion to any form of plastic surgery. Although the woman does look good for being as old as she is. In the afternoon, I met up with some friends to see Dark Shadows. And here is my review of that movie: don't go. It was horrible and awful. Oh, poor Johnny Depp. I wonder if he will regret that decision.

Saturday night saw me on the couch ordering things from QVC. Don't judge, people. QVC is amazing and I am completely mesmerized by the sheer brilliance of their marketing ploys. It's incredible we have lived this long without the stuff they are selling. Consider yourself sane deprived if you do not have this channel.

Sunday marked the day that my siblings and I had volunteered to help my mom with her garden. Now, my parent's backyard is big and with all the rain that has fallen in the Denver area lately, it was beginning to look like a rain forest. So Carr, Claire, Noah, Sam and I spent nearly four hours hoeing, pulling weeds, shoveling mulch, digging, pruning, cutting and groaning. Lots of groaning. Apparently this type of work has caused something that I call "muscle confusion." Assistance may be needed. I think we are all one step away from walkers with tennis balls on the legs.

However, there were a few bright spots. For example, from across the lawn, in the midst of weeds and overgrowth, I heard a powerful rendition of "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" by the fabulous duo of Sam and Carr. It could easily become a hit to those who have never heard the original.

And at one point I found myself in a tree, which, you know, is always a highlight.



We concluded the evening with steak, homemade cookies and ibuprofen. The perfect trifecta of any meal.

I know it is Monday, but between shoveling and home shopping, I am ready for a nap.

1 comment:

  1. This pic looks like an album cover!! Love it. :)

    Props to you for your refusal to give into all things fried dough. You are a strong gal!! I've been finding myself with a real hankering for some fair food....specifically funnel cake. :) Ha!

    Good to know about Dark Shadows...JDepp needs to get back to making good movies again, please!!

    ReplyDelete